Friday, May 14, 2010

Jack's Pick: Upcycled Quilted Denim Bowl by The Quilted House

Each Friday I select an item created by a member of the Rochester NY Etsy Street Team(RNEST). What criteria do I use? I look for great looking items that I think are well made offered for a great price!

Upcycling. What does that mean? According to Wikipedia, Upcycling is:
the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value.

The Quilted House has taken some old legs of a pair of discarded cut-off black jeans, and some reclaimed read and black floral cotton fabric to make a wonderful quilted bowl. That doesn't sound like much, but look closely at the pictures. Can you see old black jeans? Not me!!!

I saw these bowls in person at the Mayday Underground Arts + Craft show, and I was very impressed by the workmanship. Michelle of The Quilted Shop does an incredible job, and I still can't quite figure out how these bowls keep the scalloped shape so well.


Notice how you can reverse them inside out and they keep that shape? That is quality. And $12. Are you kidding me, look at the stitching, this is a real bargain in my opinion.

Don't miss the nice picture of Michelle working in her quilting room from the article in the Democrat and Chronicle this week!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks John! What a great feature - you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, you are in the big leagues now, you and the D&C pick the same features!
    Congrats on the article Michelle.

    http://MFvintage.etsy.com
    http://MFcrafts.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete