Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Trash & Treasures Tuesday: New Treasure From Old

Everyone has a spot were they toss jewelry when it breaks; damaged necklaces, cracked beads, snapped bracelets or one half of a pair of earrings. It might be a little jewelry container, a shoe box or just in the bottom of a drawer. The stuff you just can't part with. A few months ago, I was given a plastic bag filled with sentimental pieces that were either broken or just not being worn.

Some beads were vintage and some were new. Each piece had character and something about it that was meaningful to the owner (let's call her Ms. V.). Ms. V. gave me the great honor of taking this collection of jewelry and creating something new. She wanted a statement necklace she could wear for special occasions that incorporated all these little slices of her jewelry past. Here's what I came up with:


Each strand focuses on one color that was prominent in the collection of beads (light, dark, clear), but splices in a few contrasting colors here and there to make it look more cohesive. I didn't want it to look like three separate necklaces, but one larger piece. I'm happy with the results, but even better, Ms. V. was happy with the results (and it looks rather stunning on her, I must say!).

I think this is a great way to reinvent your jewelry; you can turn your sentimental pieces into the pieces you love to wear (for both the history and the style). Your forgotten jewelry is trash no more!

Peace & thanks,
Kaitlin

*And many thanks to Ms. V. for trusting me with such important memories!

5 comments: