Monday, July 19, 2010

Make-it Mondays: Boulderfest Review

It has been a whirlwind. Three days of Boulderfest, along with fellow teamies Beadwork by Amanda and Textile Treats. I think it's time for a beer and a
review...


The view from my tent, day and night :)


The Pro's of Boulderfest:
  1. Great music! A lot of reggae from the likes of John Brown's Body and Buddhahood , indie rock and blues. My personal favorite was Benjamin Jameson Morey and the Wallpaper Singers who performed upbeat danceable songs all about death and fear in its various forms.
  2. Hosted by a sweet coffee shop that also serves beer and liquor.
  3. Talented, helpful and friendly artists. There was awesome variety.
  4. Very easy going coordinators who withstood the longest hours to make their fest successful.
  5. The fee was $35 for all three days. Not bad when most one day events are more.

My booth after I ditched my cheapo tent for the EZ-up

The Con's of Boulderfest:
  1. Parking was sketchy. If you got in early there were a handful of on site spots. Otherwise most of us street parked. Switching times were funny and it wasn't a neighborhood I'd like to walk around alone at night to find my far off parking spot. As it was I got a parking ticket that cut into my profits.
  2. Long hours. We came before the music started stayed until the music stopped. That makes three 10 hours days in a row. I have to say though, that I was never bored.
  3. Low sales for many artists. This was the first run of Boulderfest with artists, so it is possible that people weren't coming with the mindset to buy art. The sales, for myself at least, went up each day though and I did profit fairly well.
  4. My crappy tent and a windy Saturday. Both of these things are totally NOT Boulder's fault. In fact this could be a pro in disguise, because I learned a lot of about outdoor vending practicalities. RNEST has a great thread on this right now.

My booth neighbors: Paul Taylor Glass, Beadwork by Amanda (fellow RNEST teamie) and Seredipity Photos. Thank you Paul and Jason for helping me with my tent!!!

Summary:


If you love music, a festive vibe and have good stamina, this is a fun show. With more advertisement and word of mouth about the vendors, I think sales will increase as well.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't I offer you my tent weights?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, and i did have some weights from my dad's old bench press that I used...but my tent was just that dumb. I now know to get some concrete blocks.

    ReplyDelete