Monday, November 29, 2010

Make-it Mondays: Studio #6 Goldhawk Pottery Etc

I am excited to profile a very new member of RNEST this week, who is working from a newly set up studio as well. Sarah Goldhawk, of Goldhawk Pottery Etc is our first ceramicist to be interviewed here on the blog. I have a soft spot for clay work and can tell you there is nothing like drinking coffee from a nice, heavy, hand thrown mug. Make sure to visit Sarah's shop and show some love. So without further ado....


Buenahelena: Where do you work/where is your studio?
Goldhawk: My studio is primarily in the basement of my house in Hilton, NY. The kiln is now in the garage which is attached to the house. It has taken a few months to set up the studio as I received equipment in September and then the kiln was blowing fuses so I had to have some electrical work done.


B: What is your medium or product?
G: I sell functional pottery for daily home use – primarily bowls, plates, mugs, serving dishes, bonsai pots, and more. All pottery is wheel thrown and made of stoneware clay which is fired to a high temperature making it food safe, and safe for use in the microwave, oven and dishwasher.


B: What is the biggest challenge about your space and how have you worked through it?
G: My biggest challenge recently was the electricity. I was not set up in the house properly to fire the kiln so I kept blowing fuses. I had an electrician completely reconfigure the electricity panel and then he created a special outlet in the garage for my kiln. My next challenge may be that the kiln is in the garage and the studio and glazes are in the basement, so I will have to go up and down stairs to transport the pots that need to be fired.


B: Describe a typical day at the studio.
G: I have not had a typical day yet, but here’s how it should go. I would definitely start my day checking email and Facebook (and I hope to start a blog soon), and then throw pots on the wheel. I’d then clean the wheel and trim pots made yesterday or the day before. If I have pots that are bisque-fired already, I might glaze them in the afternoon. If I am firing the kiln, I would likely set up the kiln in the evening and then turn it on first thing the next morning as it will take anywhere from 8-12 hours to fire and it needs to be monitored frequently.


B: What do you love the most about being a crafter/artist/etsy seller?
G: I love the continuous change and surprise of pottery – opening the kiln after each firing is always fun! I love being independent and making my own decisions. I have been laid off twice over the past two years from working in the non-profit education world in Washington, DC. I had wanted to start my own business a long time ago and this triggered it. I am so grateful to Etsy for making it easy for me to launch my shop and the wonderful tools they offer to keep me on the cutting edge for online selling. I sold primarily to friends and family in my early Etsy days but now I’m reaching a wider audience. I could not have done that without Etsy.


Thank you for sharing you studio and process Sarah! If you would like to have your RNEST studio profiled on the blog check out the details here.

1 comment:

  1. Great profile, Carol! Welcome to Rochester & RNEST, Sarah! Love your studio and your work!

    ReplyDelete